This week our Burbank High Class of 1968 classmate, Mark Covert, will end his daily running streak after 16,437 days or 45 years! This is an impressive feat by his feet (and knees!) and an impressive dedication to the sport of running, something he learned to love at Burbank High. Mark will end his streak of running at least a mile a day because of a chronic foot injury, but wow— what a run!
Consider these highlights:
• He was the first runner to dross a finish line wearing Nike shoes (waffle version, no less)
• He ran the mile in 4:09
• He holds the National Junior College 6-mile record at 28:53
• He ran at Los Angeles Valley College, coached by Laszlo Tabori, the third man to break the four-minute barrier in the mile, in 1955
• He was the NCAA Division II cross-country champion while at Fullerton State
• He is in the Nike Sports Hall of Fame
• He is still coaching at Antelope Valley Junior College, and has been the Head Coach since 1990.
You can read further about Mark by clicking the following links: